Subscriber Services
Weather

Monday, April 09, 2007

Back after Spring Break...

...and wishing I were still gone. It seems that the older I get, the more difficult it becomes to return to the reality of the workaday world.
Not that vacation was perfect. We dragged three teenagers to the west coast for several days of fishing. All they did was whine, complain and sass back. They were upset they weren't with their friends, that their phones didn't work, that life in general had "stopped" -- read: unplugged -- for a few days.
My neighbor told me she and her husband went several years without taking a family vacation because "teenagers are like electrons in search of a nucleus and their parents are NOT that nucleus."
True?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids are grown now - and with their own families. Funny thing is, that when they were teens they also gave us a hard time about spending the week with just the family on Marco Island. They wanted to spend time at home and in touch with their friends. Just like your boys.

Now, here is the funny part, they talk with fondness of our family times. In retrospect, they are happy that we made the plans and took time together. They are all doing the same thing with their young families now and I am sure that, in about 7-10 years, their kids will also complain.

I disagree with your neighbor - just because they SAY that they want to be with friends, it doesn't mean that this is the best thing for them. Family time build bonds and common memories.

You did the right thing.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss the break from the traffic.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have very fond memories of our family vacations. We went to Disney World, Six Flags, Key West, Jamaica, Freeport, Bahamas, and I can't forget the disastrous road trip to the West Coast. We always bonded and shared good times but not without the occasional argument between my parents or one of my siblings. I'm going to make the most of my family vacations while my children are children.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home