Subscriber Services
Weather

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Paradise is too pricey

So for the first time in years and years Broward County is seeing more people leaving than people arriving from other states. I wouldn't doubt the same is true for Miami-Dade. Housing costs here are ridiculous, especially since salaries have not caught up.
Worse, those of us longtimers cannot afford to downsize or move neighborhoods because of the exorbitant tax bill we face. If we want to cut costs in retirement, we've got to leave the state.
I'm particularly concerned for my children. They were born and raised here and would like to stay but, even with good jobs, will be chained to huge mortgages -- not to mention tax and insurance escrows -- because real estate prices are so out of whack.
Some say that's the price you pay to live in paradise. I beg to differ, especially when I'm stuck on the Palmetto Expressway in the middle of the day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paradise is more like Hawaii, where high expenses is a normal way of life. Miami, on the other hand is supposed to be a lot cheaper. Therefore, not so much the paradise effect everyone brags about. Miami is a fabricated dream-scape. Between the false reach to fame with the South Beach lifestyle to those high rise condos. By the way, I have yet to meet someone that lives in one of those.

I agree it's a great place due to beach access and being relatively in reach of the Keys, but are the cons really worth it? A gross amount of local government corruption, ruthless drivers willing to get ahead of one car no matter if they'll die for it, and English-- out the window. In fact, I think we meet every negative point a city can possibly carry besides crime. The recent stuff is just the icing on the cake, hurricanes which caused the domino effect of what your blog is entitled.

I'll hold my breath, say no more, and leave while I can. Where is the U-Haul.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want South Florida to be the place I come on a weekend getaway or week off from work. Broward County is a wonderful place to enjoy a mix of city and suburban life, raise your kids and go to the beach whenever you please. Gated communities like Emerald Estates and Rio Vista are home to immaculate Mediterranean-style homes.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home