Subscriber Services
Weather

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Dare I criticize the Gators...

...after another national chapmionship? This isn't about basketball. Or about football, for that matter. This is about the University of Florida and my experience with it. I've had three children graduate from there -- two stepkids and my oldest son -- and think of it as a top-notch school. But my experience (and that of other parents I know) hasn't always been pleasant. The university is so huge that individual attention is unheard of, let alone classes where you strike up a relationship with faculty. If a student has a problem -- unsure of his major, for instance, or trouble transfering summer classes -- forget about finding someone to help.
I'm hoping that the money UF makes from all these athletic championships goes to student services.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Florida from '82-'86, at a time when the incoming freshman class was about 3,000 or so kids and total enrollment was about 26,000. I agree it's enormous - probably 2/3 again larger now that it was then. But some of my best memories from that time were long conversations with my professors and getting to know my TAs (teaching assistants). College is what one makes of it; I damn-near made a debacle of it my freshman year! But I made an appointment with a guidance counsellor at Tigert Hall, and would go in for frequent chats. She was always there for me. Sure the place is large and intimidating. But Harvard can be, too, if you don't learn how to work the system. Besides, if ever I was blue, I could go to Burrito Bros.!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ana, I disagree with your assessment. Yes the university is big, but if you take the time to get to know the faculty you are rewarded with attention and mentorship equal to that at any smaller school. I graduated in '99 and enrollment was 44k+ at the time yet I developed very close relationships with faculty members that endure even now. These relationships are kept alive thanks to email, visits and continued mentorship.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chapmionship?

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for quite some time now. I found you through the "NEXT BLOG" button on top of the blogspot interface. I've admired your short no-nonsense comments on things around you, including those Anna Nicole stuff which, despite my country being miles away from yours, floods our TV thanks to cable feeds from Entertainment Tonight and the likes.

I've been wanting to contact you to ask a favor about something especially since you work in a paper there at Miami. You can click on my link to read more on my concern. Thanks!

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are advantages and disadvantages of attending a huge university. You accurately listed some of the disadvantages. The advantages are nearly limitless opportunities because of the sheer volume and diversity of the university and the programs it offers. However, nobody is going to hold your hand. You've got to be fearless and show initiative and you will be rewarded.

DC Gator (PhD from UF)

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home