Subscriber Services
Weather

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Katie Couric's debut leaves me wanting

She didn't wear pearls. Katie, I mean. And there wasn't much of anything else to convince me to switch over to CBS, either.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Katie Couric. I watched her every morning on NBC's Today Show. I would watch her on CBS, too, if only out of curiosity. Curiosity about how her wardrobe has changed. (My hubby predicted pearls would become as important as ties.) Curiosity about how she will affect the way news is delivered. Curiosity (and hopes) that a woman solo anchor can make it big in the evening.
But her debut reminded me of eating a salad for lunch -- fills you up momentarily but then you're hungry an hour later. There wasn't a lot of anything except an overlong segment in Afghanistan. And a photo of Tom Cruise's baby daughter?!! Puh-lease.
My time, especially in the evenings, is very limited. So if I'm going to devote a half hour to something, I want to get my money's worth. Come on, Katie, you can do better -- with or without pearls.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am puzzled as to when the reporters became the news. I had a bad taste in my mouth during all the hype and the teary goodbyes. These people are supposed to report the news - not report on the news reporters!

It also makes me cringe when, on the news, they interview a reporter (who has been covering a certain story) for his opinion. WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS!!!??? He is supposed to tell us the events and let us form OUR opinions.

Editorials should always be labeled as such - otherwise - just the facts, ma'm.

Katie has an obstacle to overcome - her "celebrity" persona will keep some people from taking her seriously as a news reporter.

It's sad - because she is smart and capable. She could do a great job, if she weren't already know for being so darn cute and perky.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't catch Katie's "performance" until Thursday night. "Wanting," indeed: I would go all the way to, "wooden." The white shirt (paired with a perhaps overly sensible skirt) she was wearing tonight was perkier than she. I almost feel as if the CBS execs are holding her back. Why, though? Apart from her celebrity--or, at least, I hope so--she was hired to boost The CBS Evening News's sadly flagging ratings by appealing to a younger audience. What I saw tonight was not auspicious. She could use those pearls, a smart suit (or even a shapely dress, not necessarily black), and more heels than I saw tonight. During the closing credits, though, I believe I detected her flashing her trademark smile while communicating with someone off camera. C'mon, Katie: don't be afraid to flash those pearly whites during your hard-won half hour! Uncle Walter's behind you, and I daresay that Edward R. Murrow hasn't turned over in his grave. Not yet.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home