Subscriber Services
Weather

Friday, August 11, 2006

X*@&% summer reading assignments

Down to the wire before the start of school and my 13-year-old is slogging through one of his summer reading assignments. He is fighting me all the way and whines loudly enough to wake bats in the belfry. His assignment: "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." In his words: a chick book.
Last night he was telling one of his older brother's friend about this "punishment," to which the friend said, "It could be worse. They could make you go to the movie, too."
Funny thing about this is that Nick has read thousands of pages over the summer, to the tune of 10 books, but he wants to read what he wants to read, which means "boy" books. He read, for example, a 900-plus page installment of the Harry Potter series. I also suggested several other "boy" books -- Pat Conroy's "My Losing Season," for instance -- which he devoured. Yet he and other boys I know cannot stand reading the touchy-feely books of relationships and emotions that we women so enjoy. I only wish teachers would keep that in mind. Nothing will turn a boy off from reading faster than a book he can't relate to. If girls were assigned, say, "The Chocolate Wars," I suspect their reluctance would be duly noted.
Nonetheless, I'm glad he's being forced to read "Traveling Pants," if only for the lesson that there are many things we must do that we don't like. Welcome to the real world.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me that, after many years, I remember things from required books that I did not WANT to read.

Time gives you perspective - and you are right - people need to learn how to do things that they do not particularly enjoy doing. It builds character.

Your son may get some insights to the teenage girl mind that will come in handy some day soon. Perhaps.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Series 50 tires Acyclovir can be cured Statins and liver and required blood test I nexium Topamax price Blade project - public domain online sports gambling site Isuzu ftr I need a no fax payday cash advance. faucet hookup Infiniti dvd blanco classic white kitchen faucet http://www.timeshare-buy.info/air-lines-picture.html

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home