Subscriber Services
Weather

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Happy talk turns cautious

After the buzz, the initial elation, the calling-around and jubilation, we have entered the subdued stage -- that place in the minefield of emotions when excitement gives way to skepticism and a wait-and-see attitude. Like so many other Cuban -Americans in Miami, from UM professors to filmmakers to the man on the street, I (and others) have tempered our reactions to Fidel Castro's illness. We may be in this for the long haul.
Speculation runs rampant: He's dead already, some say. No, no, claim others, this is a trick.
A friend reported that she had heard from a friend of a friend that a betting pool on Fidel's time and date of death had been started in some office. Another asked me if I knew whether there were any offices or programs in place for exiles to reclaim the properties they had lost. Those who know I've long pined for a house on the beach suggested I start looking at Cuba.
"Bet it'll be cheap," John and Terry told me.
Such talk provides plenty of entertainment but has little to do with fact. Reality, I suspect, will be much harsher: Civil War. Mass exodus. Raul Castro's increasing clamp down on dissidents. For all the talk of liberation after Fidel, I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad feeling? I think it's too early for that -- we should wait and see what happens.

I am sure that they have a plan in place -- he is NOT immortal. However, we don't know how many in the power structure would be willing to transfer their loyalty to Raul. He certainly does not have his brother's charisma or threatening personality. He is not the Alpha in that family.

This is not a mom & pop store that can be handed down to the little brother. I am sure that there are men within the power circle of that government that are waiting for the dictator to die also.

This is not a monarchy and I cannot imagine that the little brother will stay in power for any amount of time. He will either be deposed or assassinated.

Let's see what happens.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home