Subscriber Services
Weather

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Will your kid's teacher be back next year?

It should come as no suprise that half of all schoolteachers quit by their fifth year of teaching. Something to do with poor working conditions and low salary. My husband is a teacher, a brother is a teacher, two sisters-in-law are teachers, and the stories they tell about the lack of support they get from administrators and the frustrations they face on a daily basis would never hold in another industry. Yet, they still love working with students and feel they can make a difference.
Unfortunately, how we treat them and what we pay them are reflections of society's screwed-up priorities.
Can someone remind me how much Barry Bonds makes please?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If my kids' teachers all headed for the hills - I wouldn't blame them.

In today's climate, they are being held responsible for low FCAT scores, but have lost whatever power of discipline they once had in the classroom.

The salaries are not competitive with other professions with similar educational requirements - and then, everyone has an opinion on how they should do their jobs.

When a plumber comes to fix your pipes you would NEVER tell him how to do his work -- why do you think you can tell an educator how to conduct his/her work? Everyone has an opinion - and no respect.

I am not a teacher - but I have the greatest respect for the ones that I know that stick it out despite the current climate and low salaries. If I were in their shoes, I would probably find a more lucrative and less problematic job.

God bless them - our futuer is in their hands!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think that all teachers were overpaid but now that my son has turned into a teenager and seeing other teengers, I think teachers are WAY underpaid.

Children nowadays have no respect for any authority, teachers or otherwise. Education begins at home but you can't expect someone getting paid peanuts to teach your child anything.

Respectfully,
A non-teacher

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home