Subscriber Services
Weather

Friday, March 31, 2006

Are kids getting smarter?

Today, as I have for years and years, I will emcee the Herald's spelling bee. It is my annual lesson in humility. I watch these incredible elementary and middle school kids spell -- on stage, in front of a packed auditorium -- words I never use, words I've never heard and certain words I could never ever spell. They never fail to dazzle me with their brilliance and their poise.
It seems to me that, for all we complain about education these days, kids are smarter and know more about the world than I did at their age.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Children today have more access to information then we did as kids. The world is a much smaller place...

It's good that intelligence is accelerating. We are depending on these next generations for new ideas, innovations, and leadership.

Have fun at the spelling bee!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yer i am very smart

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home