Subscriber Services
Weather

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

When parents excuse their kids' behavior

I saw a disturbing video on TV news this morning about the beating of a 16-year-old girl by some of her schoolmates who were upset that she had trashed them on the MySpace website. The video existed because they were going to post it online.
How sick can we get?
Well, sicker than videoing your criminality. A mother of one of the teens who is accused in the ambush that left the girl with two black eyes and the loss of hearing in one ear actually went on national news to say the incident was "overblown." The apple doesn't fall from the tree apparently.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree.

In her place I would be mortified. Shamed. If my child behaved in such an animalistic manner with another human being -- I would be angry, concerned, worried, but most of all ashamed.

In this day, where raising our children's "self-esteem" at whatever cost, this is the result. No behavior is bad enough to force this type of parent to condemn it. In fear of affecting the child's sense of self worth - parents tippy toe around their responsibility of teaching right from wrong.

I condemn bad behavior -- and even more so if it's my child behaving badly. It is my job to show them what a HUGE mistake they made...and to make sure (by whatever means necessary) that they NEVER behave that way again.

None of my children have become violent bullies. They are all pretty well-adjusted and responsible citizens.

I cannot imagine what the girls in the video will turn out to be. If you START out as a violent hoodlum, what can you escalate to as you mature?? Specially if the parents are not involved and correcting the situation.

I am sure that they will end up in bad places -- but they will always have "self-esteem"!!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

i pity for that 16 year old girl.

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home