Subscriber Services
Weather

Monday, April 07, 2008

How safe are our colleges?

Maybe it's the age of my younger children that makes me so sensitive to college-related news. Yet, it seems that we're hearing about more and more accidents and crimes on college campuses. The latest tragedy is the death of a freshman at UM, most likely from an accidental fall.
It's a painful reminder that when we send our children off into the world with all kinds of precautions, danger lurks: shootings, date rape, binge drinking, etc.
With age and experience, I'm getting more and more paranoid.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe what happened to that poor child. Her parents must be living their worst nightmare. I will be keeping them in my prayers.

As you know, once you have children, you never have a life any more. You worry from their first tooth until you are in your death bed. There are so many dangers in this world.

All a parent can do it try to prepare them and teach them to use good common sense in their daily lives. Then, cross their fingers.

It never ends. And, as if that isn't enough, the worry-cycle starts up again with the birth of grandchildren. Sheeesh!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a student at UM I can tell you that our campus is perfectly safe and that this is a freak accident that unfortunately just happens. I was a friend of Kelly, but this isn't any reason to become obsessed with possibilities of danger. Teach your kids to be safe. The world isn't as scary as individual cases make it seem to be.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home