Subscriber Services
Weather

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who will return to Cuba?

At the gym this morning I was asked if my family would return to Cuba now that Castro is resigning from his post. The question itself implies there will be real change in Cuba, which I doubt, particularly if Raul Castro remains in power.
But the reality is that I am Cuban by birth and by culture. (In fact, the latter may be a stretch, since both sides of my family hail from the region of Catalonia in Spain and that's where the majority of my relatives still live. My mother moved to Cuba as a 10-year-old, after the Spanish Civil War.)
I am an American, raised mostly in Miami. I would feel totally out of place in a country I last saw when I was a toddler.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question posed to you revealed a real ignorance of current events and in particular the situation in Cuba.

I have no doubt that many in Miami would love to see the Cubans head back to the island, since it's no secret that their financial success has caused much resentment. However, I truly doubt that this announcement means that there will be any significant changes. It probably means that Fidel is about to die. It's about time!

I think that people should be made aware that, if and when the Communist reign ends on that island, the vast majority of Miami Cubans will NOT be packing their bags. Most likely, they will invest their money in rebuilding the island. But, they are here to stay!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, I think, nobody will return to Cuba, and do you kwow why?
Because Cuba is not the Cuba that you left long time ago. Cuba doesn´t have anything to offer, so cubans in USA,take it easy!Do you figure out living in Cuba, without cars,cell phones, internet,or not even fridge?
You are american citizens,you are there for living a long life in America.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While Jorge, in his comment, says that nobody will return to Cuba, I think a lot of the younger generation would, as for them there would be a challenge or even a career to go after as the island would begin to be rebuild. As for me at 60 plus age, it would be too late to start over. My wife is from the US and while she even sounds like a person born in Cuba, since her Spanish is great, it would also be a handicap, since she also is on the 60 plus age bracket. We would visit, as I would love to show her the island, even though I know it is not the same island I left in the early 60's. Of course, none of this would be possible until the Castro brothers are gone, which I do not see happening any time soon.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home