Subscriber Services
Weather

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Racism is still alive and well out there

My son and his fiancee came back from a cruise with plenty of stories -- and a new sense of alarm. With them at their table in the 8 p.m. seating was a family from an adjoining southern state. On the surface they seemed nice enough, but the fireworks began when the ship docked first in Haiti, then in Jamaica. The racist comments Son and Fiancee had to hear -- and argue back -- would curdle your blood. In fact, for the first time ever they heard a word I've only seen in books -- jigaboo. My son said it took him a few minutes to figure it out.
At one point he told the younger member of the family that he was Hispanic, which took the dinnermates by surprise. (His fiancee is blond, blue-eyed Irish American.) That didn't seem to take the wind out of their sails, though.
"I can't believe there are still people like that," he told me.
Sorry to say: Believe, believe.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ana,

I think that we all have to look into our hearts and work hard to maintain an open approach to others.

In some communities, it is very easy to fall into the trap of racist comments. The prejudiced and ignorant view point is not condemned by these societies.

I have always felt that if a person is openly racist, it would be a reflection of their own insecurities and sense of self-inferiority. The only way they can lift their sense of self-esteem is by putting down others.

My husband disagrees. He claims that ignorance is the cause.

Maybe it's a combination. Whatever it is, it is wrong. People have to be judged as individuals NOT ethnic or racial groups. The problem with that approach is that it requires an open mind, a loving heart, and a thinking mind.

Most people are too lazy.

It is a shame that your son had to sit with these hateful people. One question though, when these folk made reservations for a cruise in the Caribbean, did they know anything about where they would be going???

One wonders if their ignorance extends to geography too -- I would suggest that next time they plan a trip, they do a little research.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Neftalie said...

Mrs. Suarez,

I appreciate the fact that touched subject as very are afraid to do so. "Racism" is one I can never nor will I ever comprehend. It is definitely inorance as a whole. The major problem is society. When a crime happens it is geared towards an ethnic background or a skin color. I often wonder if everyone were blind...what would they say then". This is a problem I am very passionate about and can get easily angry about it. I have diverse color/ethnic friends... and I appreciate each one of them for who they are not what they are. I am sorry your son and his fiancee had to endure such stupidity.

Nefty

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm. seems it comes from both sides doesnt it...i just happened by a page where the ad was about a new Avon scent by Jennifer Hudson, sad to say, the comment right below the ad was " why would I want to smell like a funky niggah"? Oh my peace, when will this foolish trend ever end????

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home