Subscriber Services
Weather

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Has 'Take Your Child' run its course?

Thousands of businesses will be visited by the children of employees today in an annual ritual that, I think, has become something of a joke. Way back when -- and I remember that far back -- we brought only our daughters. It was a way to show them how women could function and succeed in the workplace. Then boys wanted in, and they, too, came.
Now elementary and middle schools pretty much close down because so many kids are at their parents' job. But I wonder how much kids really do learn about the business world by a day of pretend activities. In fact, most kids I've talked to see this less as a learning experience and more as a day off from school.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I type this, my 13 year-old son is sitting in the chair in front of my desk - reading.

So, do I think that this is a waste of time? Yes! But, as you mentioned, schools close down and, if you drop your kid off, chances are that he will be watching movies all day.

There is NO teaching being done today.

So, he is here with his book. Learning absolutely NOTHING about my work. I have too much of it to start discussing with a child. Database management can be a boring thing to a teen -- ok -- and to adults also.

I think the initial intention was a good one -- but has long ago stopped being relevant.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent writer!!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home