Subscriber Services
Weather

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Enforce the uniform rule

Broward County public school officials are once again looking at their uniform policy and how strictly it should be enforced. Some parents are saying they should be the ones to determine what their children wear to school. They point out that there are no definitive studies on the benefits of uniforms.
Hogwash! Ask teachers. Look at the anecdotal evidence. Schools are safer when everyone is dressed the same -- easier to spot intruders. What's more, uniforms reduce peer pressure over fashion. Makes it easier during that morning rush when kids are figuring out what to wear, too.
I wore uniforms for most of my academic life. When I hear adults complain that uniforms hinder their children's creativity, it makes me laugh. Private schools -- as well as public schools with uniforms -- graduate plenty of creative thinkers.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I, also, attended uniform schools for most of my education. I guarantee that we had plenty of creative and expressive individuals.

One thing to consider is that, if their apparel is NOT their main form of self-expression, then they can seek other (more CREATIVE AND SUBSTANTIAL) avenues.

There is truth to what you have stated about intruders. The other thing we must ponder is that most young people will not REALLY express their individuality throught clothes. Really, they will mimick whatever the "cool" people are wearing.

So, the real question is: do they wear real uniforms or the ones selected by the media and their peers?

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. What children wear to school does not limit their thinking. On the contrary, I believe that children who do not wear uniform pay too much attention on what they will wear the next day to school. That attention could be easily channeled to positive and creative thinking. I think uniforms are great and kids do not have to prove themselves by what brand of clothing they wear. Yes, uniforms create uniformity, but only on their apparel, they are still able to shine in many ways. Uniforms in a sense allow children to show their individuality in more conducive ways and do not contribute to VERY superficial society that we live in.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I love cheese!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya! I like cheese, too! What's ur favorite kind?

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swiss! What's yours?

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheddar! it's really good with ritz crakers

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really? i've never tried that. I'll go try it

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home