Subscriber Services
Weather

Monday, October 09, 2006

Cuban-Americans and The Miami Herald

As a Cuban-American and a journalist (proud to be both, too), it's very upsetting to witness the on-going fight between the two communities. Though disputes go back a long time, at least since I've been a reporter, the latest involve comments by the editor of my paper, Tom Fiedler, who is now being accused of being a racist. I've known Tom for more than 25 years, and he is an honest, just, compassionate man who cares deeply about everyone in the community. I've worked with him in various instances and, in fact, he was my first editor on the metro desk, when I was green and eager and when there were fewer than a handful of Cuban-Americans in the newsroom. You learn to know a person through the thick and thin of covering news, especially controversial events.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that people have become too thin-skinned. We take offense way too easily. People are looking into every phrase directed at them, analyzing for the slightest hint of bigotry. Of course, this makes dialog very difficult.

How can you express yourself honestly when you are verbally walking a mine field, trying to avoid any phrase that can be turned into an insult.

All this "political correctness" makes me sick and tired.

I don't know about the Herald Editor and I don't care either. It is not an real issue - what he said. The real issue is that we need to be able to communicate better.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home