Subscriber Services
Weather

Monday, September 25, 2006

The incredibly shrinking household

A few weeks back, after my middle son left for college during the Labor Day weekend, I told my husband how strange it felt to have his room empty -- and neat -- once again. It was strange, too, to not have him sitting at the table whining with his brothers about the food. And it was strange that he wasn't hogging the washing machine, either.
I realized I'm used to a noisy and full household, and as each of my five kids flies the coop, it gets quieter and emptier. I continue to buy in bulk because I don't know how else to shop. I also tell friends, "Now I only have two at home," and people ask, "Only?"
So it was with some amusement that I read a story about the shrinking U.S. family. As our houses get bigger, our families get smaller. A matter of lower birthrates, more money and fewer generations living together, it seems.
My household remains on the large side, though -- two kids, three adults (husband, father and moi.) That, strangely enough, gives me a little satisfaction.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you and your beautiful family.

It doesn't matter what size our families are - what matters is the love and memories created in the home. Whatever we provide during their childhoods, our children will take with them for the rest of their lives and (hopefully) pass on to the next generation.

We started out with 6 (2 adults, 3 daughters, 1 son) -- and now ONLY 3 live at our house...but, our family is now up to 10! We have added 3 sons-in-law (that we love very much) and 1 grandson (with another one on the way)....

Life is good!!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

car insurance group
cheap car insurance quote
state farm car insurance
low cost car insurance online
cheap online car insurance quote
cheap car insurance quote uk
car insurance
car insurance rate
aa car insurance
general car insurance
fresno car insurance
in car insurance
cheap car insurance online
aaa car insurance
car insurance dallas
online car insurance rate
car insurance quote
car insurance rating
aaa car insurance
car insurance comparison
progressive car insurance quote
florida car insurance
low car insurance
geico car insurance
online car insurance
car insurance quote canada
online car insurance
car insurance quote canada
admiral car insurance
aaa car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
general car insurance

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home