Subscriber Services
Weather

Friday, May 19, 2006

The insurance cost of living in paradise

I'm a State Farm policyholder and have been for as long as I've been an adult. I figure the company has made lots of money off my auto and home policies. Except for Hurricane Andrew and Katrina, my slate is clean. I'm also a safe driver.
So I'm not too happy to find out it's requesting an increase -- of almost 150 percent for those of us in Miami-Dade. Between housing prices, traffic congestion and windstorm insurance, who can afford to live here anymore? The premiums are getting to be more of a problem than the hurricanes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reality of increases is that all the people who deliver services, such as teacher, police firefighters, and others will not be able to afford to live here.
I am sure all the insurance companies will be fine, not so sure about the rest of us.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it would make me move to Central Florida if it weren't for my addiction to Cuban food.

Insurance companies are not there for our good - they exist for their own good. If they have to pay (just like we do through the nose) they pick up their toys and go away OR increase their fees to make up for the loss.

There is something very immoral about how this is allowed to happen.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home