Subscriber Services
Weather

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Why Sean Taylor's death remains so upsetting

All week I've been trying to figure out why the senseless death of football star Sean Taylor has upset me so much. Yes, I had met him a few times when he was in high school, a nice, polite kid who my son knew. And yes, I had watched him wow us with his exploits on the field when he played for the University of Miami and then the Washington Redskins.
But that alone doesn't explain the unsettled feeling at the pit of my stomach. Then watching yesterday's funeral at the Pharmed Arena I realized that I was upset by several things. First and foremost, Sean's death typified what is happening among so many of our young people, especially among black and Hispanic men -- too much violence, too much death. His murder cut short a life with so much potential, and all because of greed, because of thieves who wanted to take wealth that wasn't theirs.
I was also pretty miffed at my profession. So many writers and sportscasters jumped to conclusions about why he had been killed, and maybe now they are deservedly eating crow. Repeatedly and in private I heard from my son and his high school friends that Sean was misunderstood, that the media had been doing a hatchet job on his life and intentions. that Sean was actually shy and humble and sometimes a little embarrassed by the attention. The person he was off the field was different from the hard-hitting win-at-all-costs player.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why are the local cops setting up these killers for soft-sevre sentences by saying they did'nt premeditate this crime. They damm sure planned on going there. And just maybe they created a new way to murder by hitting him in the upper leg. Weren't they using a high -caliber gun? Also, if you're downstairs breaking in and someone is heard getting up - out of the room upstairs, naturally you ( the burglar ) should flee'''''''''not go towards the upstairs homeowner. Unless you ( the killer ) is there to do just that. The cops normally have no comment due to an ongoing investigation but not this time. WHY?

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also sadenned by the death of this outstanding you man. My heart breaks for his parents, his long-time girlfriend, and (most of all) for his little girl.

It was a senseless killing. These hoods wanted STUFF -- and they wanted Sean's stuff. It seems at all cost.

God help us all -- protect us from those that don't feel a need to work for the things they want to buy - and from those that have no respect for the sanctity of life.

My heart is also broken - but I never met the young man. I did not need to meet him to know that his death was unnecessary.

The press has become a bunch of jackalls that prey on whatever they can in order to get readers. They sensationize every news bit and make news stories out of tabloid gossip. Shame on them. Cheap and dirty "news"men.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home