Subscriber Services
Weather

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A happy ending

The international custody battle over a 5-year-old Cuban girl has been settled in a Solomon-like way. The Cubas family, a well-to-do Coral Gables family that was fostering the little girl, has agreed to weekly visitations. The biological father got permanent custody but has to stay here for a couple more years.
I don't know Joe and Maria Cubas, but my hat goes off to them. They've adopted the little girl's half brother and have fought to make sure the little girl's life is settled -- at a great emotional cost to themselves. What impressed me most: when Cubas shook the biological father's hand and then hugged him before leaving the courtroom.
We should all learn from such wise and civil behavior.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ana- I am reading "When Greed Gives Way to Giving," an article you wrote that was included in a writing anthology. Can you tell me where you found the original article about Bob Thompson in Belleville Minnesota? Or when it took place? I'd love to read more about it.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home