Subscriber Services
Weather

Thursday, June 01, 2006

When the winds blow

I've got a new roof, two generators, a pantry full of canned food and a closet with plenty of C batteries. But I'm still not mentally ready for hurricane season. Though I feel like a veteran of the winds -- I survived Hurricanes Andrew, Katrina and Wilma with some damage -- I hate the fact that I have to invest so much time before and after each storm. You know the drill: Bring in the patio furniture. Put up the shutters. Haul in the plants.
The worst part is that we haven't finished our repairs from last season. Not to mention that the landscape is only now beginning to recover.
And they call this paradise.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all dreading this storm season -- with good reason.

But, if you have a new roof, count yourself lucky. Everywhere I drive in South Florida, I still see the blue tarps - every time it rains, there are news stories about condemned homes because of the water getting in through hurricane damaged roofs.

I don't know what will happen if we get hit again this year. We are not all prepared and it will be hard on many of us.

Cross your fingers and prepare for the worst while you hope for the best.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home