Subscriber Services
Weather

Monday, June 19, 2006

The REAL price of vacation

When is a vacation not a vacation?
I ask myself that question every time I'm gone from home for a few days and leave the children behind. Last week I attended the National Association of Hispanic Journalists up the road in Fort Lauderdale. My husband came along. When I returned, I had to spend a couple of hours getting the house back to snuff. It wasn't entirely a mess, but my children's version of "clean" and my version are as different as zebra stripes and giraffe spots.
I've long mantained that there's a price to pay when a mother goes away -- and it's usually when she comes back to piled laundry, half-cleaned dishes and countless empty containers of take out food.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It depends on the ages of the kids involved, I guess. But if you are talking about mid to late teens or older, they should be able to maintain the level of clenliness for a weekend. Really.

If they are younger, you should leave them with a responsible adult.

In either case, you should be able to get away with your husband without having to return to do housework. You should be able to be gone for longer than a weekend.

Life is short - go out and enjoy it!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I don't have that problem since all my vacations are kids related. I just spent three days attending my son's Open Orientation at UCF. Before that I spent two days in Orlando attending UCF's Open House and two days at home fixing the air conditioner. Ah! the 17th I am off, someone is coming to fix the bathtub. And in August I am taking three days off so I can move my son to UCF and my daughter to FAU.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home