Subscriber Services
Weather

Monday, April 24, 2006

Sex, alcohol and the college student

Our fascination with the Duke lacrosse scandal continues as we in the media put out daily -- sometimes hourly -- bulletins on the latest she said/they said. The updates seem to confuse (and titillate) most of us, who suspect that the real story of what happened on that night may never be known. I'm not sure the truth will out if and when the case goes to court.
Meanwhile, as a mother of college-aged sons I worry about the culture that is described in many of the stories I read. (Newsweek has an excellent cover story on this.) Drinking is big sport on campus, and it happens more often than we care to admit. At a prestigious state school my eldest son attended, shuttle buses picked up students around the school to ferry them downtown to watering holes. Some were drunk before a night of partying even started. Binge drinking was not uncommon.
Maybe we need to check campus drinking policy at the same time we check tuition costs and median SAT scores.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drinking on campus is NOT new. This is a rite of passage that a lot of us had to go through and endure the subsequent hang-overs.

Before the kids are sent away to college - they should be warned and educated (if they listen it will be a miracle).

The subject of rapes on campus is one that is not accurately reported - "date rapes" are mostly kept secret.

Our kids should be protected from the dangerous stuff that can happen to them when they go out "on their own" -- too many times, we forget to remind them NOT to trust strangers - to travel with a buddy - and to let people know where you are going and when they can expect you to return.

Painfully, we find out TOO late that we should have had that talk. Ask Mr. & Mrs. Melendi and I am sure that they will agree.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am the parent of college age and post college age kids. I have to tell you that I for one talked until I was blue in the face and guess what.......I still hear stories about my 26 year old that make my heart skip a beat. It's only by the grace of God that he survived at all. Even the "angel" and academic scholar of my three had many an incoherant night on the town during her four years at Univeristy of Florida. What does all of this mean? I have no idea, but I can tell you this, talking it out, reminding, and being honest with your kids doesn't seem to help. Maybe the reality is that most kids in this age group just aren't ready for so much freedom.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. I will keep reading.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home